The Hospital was founded in 1926 by a Charitable Organization called Lady Grigg Welfare League and was named Lady Grigg Maternity. In 1944 the Hospital was taken over by the Defunct Municipal Council of Nairobi. The Pumwani Maternity Hospital is a pioneer in the provision of maternity care in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Status of the Hospital
Pumwani Maternity Hospital is an obstetric and referral hospital for delivery of expectant mothers in Nairobi, and adjoining counties. It has 354 bed capacity, 144 baby cots, 3 theatres and High Dependency Unit. HDU and 3rd theatre are not operational due to shortage of human resource. Majority of clients are from poor socio-economic background.
To date the Hospital remains the largest facility that solely provides reproductive and neonatal health care in the country and Sub-Saharan Africa. It has a college of Nursing and Midwifery which can accommodate 104 students at any given time. Read more…….